Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tennis Quote of the Day: Bobblehead Tennis

"One of the most important technical elements in [tennis] is keeping the head still on contact. Everywhere I go, I see players flailing away and jerking their heads around during the most important part of the swing. I call this bobblehead tennis. I feel that there should be much more emphasis on head still training.

I consider a still head position a hallmark in my teaching and signature for our students. The head and chin should be completely still and balanced. The eyes should be focused on the contact point for a split second after the ball is hit. Because of the weight of the head, keeping it still is critical in optimal balance.

Watching the ball into the contact point creates clean contact and minimizes mishits. Nothing will disrupt a swing more than a bobbling head. It's hard to stress the point too much. If the head jerks even slightly, it can pull the shot offline."

--Chris Lewit, Coach, Author,

and Director of Chris Lewit Tennis Academy Web:
Building a World Class One-Handed Backhand,
Web: www.TennisPlayer.net (March 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment