Monday, September 12, 2011

Samantha Stoser wins the Women's Singles Championship: U.S. Open 2011

Samantha Stoser (No 6, Australia), defeated Serena Williams (No. 28, USA) in impressive straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, in Sunday's final of the Women's Singles Championship.

It was a stunning upset before a packed crowd at Arthur Ashe Stadium in only 73 minutes on the 10th anniversary of 09/11.

Stoser became only the second Australian woman to win the U.S. Open, after the legendary Margaret Court in 1973. It was her first Grand Slam title. She joins Li Na and Petra Kvitova as first time Grand Slam winners this year.

"I had one of my best days and I'm very fortunate that I had it on this stage in New York," said Stoser. "Ever since I started playing, it was a dream of mine to be here one day, and now my dream has come true."


Congratulations and well done, Samantha!

Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment